Re: [NTLK] Recharging disposable AA batteries?

From: Adam Goddard <pashosh_at_tpg.com.au>
Date: Wed Dec 06 2006 - 23:34:42 EST

On 07/12/2006, at 9:46 AM, Tovi wrote:
> Ok, the contained information is to be used AT YOUR OWN RISK. I have
> not tried this and having little knowledge of circuitry or batteries
> have no plans on doing so (unless someone here dares try it and
> proves it works).
>
> I thought it be interesting to the group as a lot of us use AA
> batteries in our Newtons.
>
> The website explains how to recharge disposable AA batteries (one day
> of charging) using less than $1 parts from RadioShack.
>
> http://www.afrotechmods.com/reallycheap/batteries/batts.htm
>
> Anyone here who has a lot more knowledge than I do have any comments?
>
> Tovi

As someone quite experienced in the electronics, and battery technology
field, DO NOT TRY THIS!!! It is not worth the risk. I would never trust
such a battery in my precious Newtons :P
Seriously, the risks of leakage and/or fire through a breakdown in
internal chemistry/battery wall are real in "recharged" alkalines/zinc
chlorides. Yes, they can actually explode, even if you don't believe
the warning stickers. Do yourself a favour and invest in some good high
capacity NiMH's and a good charger, and it will pay off over time.

Thinking of what's best for your precious Newt,
   - Adam Goddard