Re: [NTLK] MP2100 screen burn-in

From: Andrew Smallshaw <andrews_at_sdf.lonestar.org>
Date: Thu Dec 14 2006 - 15:35:31 EST

On Tue, Dec 12, 2006 at 08:37:36AM +0000, knowtree@aloha.com wrote:
> I like using my MP2100 to dial my phone and log calls. I have it sitting
> next to my Unix workstation, with a keyboard and A/C adaptor. When I use
> the A/C adaptor the MP does not power down automatically. Is there any risk
> of damaging the screen? IIRC, LCD panels do not suffer from burn-in the way
> CRT-based video monitors are. Can I leave my MP turned pn all day?

LCD displays _do_ degrade with in a similar manner to CRTs if
displaying a static image constantly, but the effect is temporary
and not really anything to worry about. LCDs also degrade permanently
over time but this takes many years - I've heard from collectors
of vintage (late 70s/early 80s) calculators that their displays
are very faint through age. While I haven't heard of any problems
in devices less than 20 years old that doesn't necessarily rule
them out altogether.

What you should be concerned about is the backlight, whose life is
comparatively short. I purchased my MP2000 new a couple of years
ago and have noticed the light has faded - in muted light (as
opposed to darkness) it can be difficult to read the screen regardless
of whether the backlight is on or off. If the backlight is turned
off most of the time it won't be fading in this manner.

--
Andrew Smallshaw
andrews@sdf.lonestar.org