Re: [NTLK] Lucent Wavelan Turbo Silver - success!

From: hellsop_at_ninehells.com
Date: Thu Feb 02 2006 - 05:27:50 PST

On Wed, Feb 01, 2006 at 08:03:33PM -0500, Harry Teasley wrote:
> On 2/1/06, Paul Curtis <MicroSSG_at_comcast.net> wrote:
>
> > There is no reason to use WEP.
>
> And there's every reason to not use WEP: poor encryption is worse than
> no encryption, in that it promotes sloppy behavior from folks who
> think they're protected. But WEP isn't always a matter of everyone's
> choice: WEP capability is still important for flexible connectivity.

There is every reason to use WEP. Even if WEP is crackable in mere
minutes, the next access point up the road probably DOESN'T have WEP
turned on gets used instead. Even if someone's going to crack your WEP,
why make things easier for them?

--
39. If I absolutely must ride into battle, I will certainly not ride at the
    forefront of my Legions of Terror, nor will I seek out my opposite number