Re: [NTLK] the Tablet Rumor arises AGAIN!

From: Victor Rehorst (victor_at_newtontalk.net)
Date: Fri Feb 10 2006 - 13:04:00 PST

KL wrote:
> agreed, though it should be noted that Apple fulfills that
> responsibility is by selling innovative products.

Innovative products need not be original, they just need to be better than
your competitors.

> Apple must address the growing treat from Tablet PC's to continue to
> make money & I think its justified to speculate on a new tablet.
> The problem with Tablet PC's is that they are horribly designed. A
> desktop type interface is not appropriate for that purpose and I'm
> amazed that MS is content with sticking XP on there.

Consumer Tablet Computer sales are tiny compared to PC sales. Vertical
markets are still the primary target of tablets, a realm where business
customers get to dictate design and functionality.

Again, MS is likely "content" with XP Tablet edition because:

- adapting existing code was cheaper than writing new code from scratch
- makes it dead-simple to run Windows apps on tablets, don't need to port to
some esoteric platform
- someone probably thought "if it looks just like their PC, people will be
more apt to use it." I don't agree with that sentiment but it's proven that
UI habits are hard to break.