Re: [NTLK] Newton 110, is it strong?

From: Richard Plume (rplume_at_sympatico.ca)
Date: Fri Feb 10 2006 - 14:06:11 PST

Linda;

    Greg is right. Newtons are tough.

    I'll also add my voice to that. You'll probably not break a Newton with
normal, everyday use, including stuffing it in a briefcase, bag, knapsack,
etc.

    HPCs are a different matter. By nature, they're clamshell devices and
the hinge tends to be the weak point. Bang them around enough and the hinge
will break or the screen will develop lines. I repaired six MobilePro 700s a
couple of weeks ago. Most were loose hinges, one had a broken hinge and one
screen had lines through it. Fortunately, they were all easy repairs (had to
get two screens off eBay, the others were OK). My Compaq 810 wasn't so
fortunate. It's hinge snapped in two and it doesn't look like it's going to
get fixed anytime soon.

    The upshot is I carried a Newton 130, then a 2100, around for years in
bags and knapsacks with no ill effects. These days I use a MobilePro, but I
make sure it's in a great case and it's not banging against anything else.

Rick