Re: [NTLK] the Tablet Rumor arises AGAIN!

From: Harry Teasley (hteasley_at_gmail.com)
Date: Sat Feb 11 2006 - 08:53:17 PST

On 2/11/06, oliver.brose_at_t-online.de <oliver.brose_at_t-online.de> wrote:

> It's high time we all do more nifty swirly stuff :)

No argument there.

> (Multi)Touchcontrols this responsive will revolutionize the way many
> professionals interact with their systems.

If they have adequately solved the various problems that have plagued
touchscreens in the past, which I'm not sanguine they've actually
solved. The main problem with touchscreen input is that your finger is
a mushy thing, and actually sort of sucks compared to using a tool
like a stylus. Signing your name or doing a drawing more involved than
a stick figure is considerably easier with a stylus than with your
finger.

Your finger's mushiness both inhibits great precision, and makes it
extremely difficult to determine what was a real touch, versus what
was an accidental touch. Accidental touches in a multi-point touch UI
will be the main problem, because there's less ability to prioritize
one touch over another as being the "real" touch, because both of them
could be intentional.

 Think about all the places
> where software emulates hardware in the GUI (think mixer controls for
> example), all the knobs & sliders - it would be much more natural to
> use touchcontrols than a mouse.

True, but I think that a good dial UI could be done with a
single-touch touchscreen nearly as well as a multi-touch touchscreen:
I don't know how often mixers want to be adjusting multiple dials at
once, and an ipod shows you how easy it is to use a touchscreen dial
with a single finger.