Re: [NTLK] New eMate owner- Hinge repair, and more...

From: Marcus Hammerschmitt (Marcus.Hammerschmitt_at_t-online.de)
Date: Tue Feb 21 2006 - 02:27:42 PST

At 09:20 21.02.2006, you wrote:
>Hello all!

Not meaning to demoralize you, Keith, but there are some possibilities
for disappointment here. I was under timpression that Wegener had a
poor reputation in terms of reliability and service (correct me if I'm wrong).
Second, I've been using an eMate for half a year now. It is a wonderful
device for plain text input. I love this thing being ready as soon as you
open it, the keyboard is great. You can witness a little lag when you
type away like hell, but I've never been able to outrun it properly. It
connects to my WinXP machine over ethernet and Basilisk like a charm.
But I can't imagine an eMate being a replacement to a Powerbook,
memory enhancement or not. If 's got a 25 Mz processor, which accounts
for a lot here. My eMate accepts my wireless card gladly, but honestly
I would rather choose dialup for an internet connection and though I
haven't actually tried it, I think more than mail is simply a pain on
the eMate anyway.

If you want a mobile Newton solution with a little more punch, go for
a 2100 with a keyboard and an appropriate case.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/concord/34490871/

I can't promise you'll surf the net like a pro, but NewtScape & WiFi
can give you a limited manoeuvrability. Even some fancier stuff is
possible, like writing while listening to music:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/concord/91374328/

That might be the closest you get to a Powerbook experience in
the Newton world.

Best,

Marcus