Re: [NTLK] eMate cable

From: Frank Gruendel (newtontalk_at_pda-soft.de)
Date: Thu Feb 23 2006 - 12:51:00 PST

> I would not worry too much about the hinge repair,
> I have had my eMate since they first came out in
> the nineties and had no problems with it, there has
> been no work on the hinges since I got it new.

I think some weeks ago I repaired the 25th eMate ribbon
cable. Counting in those that were beyond repair, I guess
I've seen at least 30 eMates that very much DID have a
problem with it.

I would like to disagree with all due respect. This problem
hits EVERY eMate sooner or later. How soon this happens depends,
among other things, on the hinge springs themselves. Some of
those differ from their brethren insofar as a longer piece of
wire has been used to make them. This means more curls around
the axis, more friction, less time until failure.
But even the "normal" springs will fail eventually. I've had one
eMate on my workbench whose owner told me that it had been lying
in a drawer originally sealed for years. About two months after it was
unpacked, the display cable was toast.

Frank