Re: [NTLK] OT ELM323 interface idea

From: John Charlton (johncharlton_at_mac.com)
Date: Fri Feb 24 2006 - 14:39:47 PST

On 24-Feb-06, at 12:38 , mkow1234_at_aol.com wrote:

> The company which originally made the Newton eMate Scientific Test
> Kit and its related hardware still (I believe) sells the various
> test probes and the eMate interface hardware module. Could there
> possible be a way to feed engine analyzer outputs into this
> interface module and then tweak the software to allow for graph
> displays of functions? Just an idea for you to think about...

That's the beauty of the ELM, it takes the OBD output (which is
fairly comprehensive) and makes the interfacing of it easy
(relatively) through a serial port. It's not just the Diagnostic
Trouble Code, the port also puts out RPM, temperatures, etc. More
advanced OBD software is able to graph these. Take a look at http://
www.obd-2.com/ which sells a software (also runs on Microsoft Bob!?)
and cable solution which probably uses the ELM.

On 24-Feb-06, at 16:28 , Andrei Chichak wrote:

> I need ISO for a Volvo and a Volks. If somebody needed some other
> protocol
> they would have to help in the adaptation to the other protocol.

 From the above website it appears that there are three different
plugs. The ELM chip can decode the common protocols. Manufacturers
may have their own specific codes, which may vary by model, but P-
codes starting with 0 are standard. If model-specific information can
be found it could be included.

I've marked this reply OT as it's straying a little from Newtendom.
However, if this gets running on a Newton I'll be a very happy camper.

John