Re: [NTLK] Installing Newton Press under OSX

From: Richard (newtontalk_at_rssternberg.org)
Date: Sun Jan 01 2006 - 10:52:10 PST

AFAIK, Newton Press is an application that runs in Classic (or OS
7-9.2.2). I have never heard of an OS X version, though others can
address whether such an upgrade exists.

The easiest way to run a Classic application under OS X is to install
Classic. In Tiger (OS X.4.x), that is accomplished by inserting the
installation disk for the OS and selecting the option to install
Classic. I haven't done it in a few months since I bought a new Mac
and needed to add Classic, but I do recall it was very straight-forward.

It may be easier to understand this if you think about Classic as an
emulator, like Virtual PC, instead of thinking of it like an
operating system. Folks in my user group are quite insistent on
referring to Classic and OS 9.2.2 as different software for precisely
this reason. While Classic and OS 9 have the same functional role
from a user's perspective, they are completely different software. To
run a legacy program like Newton Press under OS X, you need to use an
emulator to provide OS 9 functionality. The only (and the most
reliable and tested) emulator is Classic, which comes on your OS X
installation disks.

-- Richard