[NTLK] Waba Development

From: Sean Luke (sean_at_cs.gmu.edu)
Date: Mon Jan 02 2006 - 13:25:46 PST

I started Waba when I was getting my PhD. Now I am almost done with
the tenure process (a five year hiatus from newtondom!) and am
thinking about doing a small project on the Newton again. Or maybe
some other platform. Dunno yet.

Here's one idea. I have been somewhat surprised at the dearth of
development using Waba's NewtonScript<->Java API. With this API you
can do a large percentage of what you can do with NewtonScript: you
just need to have the Newton development docs and know what the heck
you're doing. :-) Well, that's the catch I guess. How many
Newtoners know what a RefStruct is? The WabaNSAPI assumes somewhat
more advanced programming experience than you probably need to do.

For me, I kind of have thought that one of the (many) reasons I
didn't do much Newton development any more was the lack of good
development tools for OS X -- I no longer have Classic on my
machine. But I'm a good Java coder, and so I was thinking of putting
together a little Java library for making apps on the Newton. Real
Newton Apps, not Waba Palm Pilot stuff. Basically a cover API for
the underlying WabaNSAPI. But what do people want to see? Widgets?
Soup access? What?

Any ideas to get the ball rolling would be welcome.

Sean