Re: [NTLK] Polyswitch

From: Newton (newton_at_spymac.com)
Date: Thu Jan 05 2006 - 15:32:04 PST

> They might decide to explode before this
> happens, if you are not lucky.
I would still doubt that an exploding accu cell is dangerous and would state
that a cell does not explode in the sense of a granade or so. It blows up
and releases gas and liquids but it will not distribute cracked metal parts
all around. I got that experience by closely watching an "exploding" NiMH
accu in my main MP2k1 and all what happened was that it got a tiny crack
close to the plus terminal where liquid and vapor came off. Beside that the
cell became very hot due to an internal short and was completely discharged
after about 15min. It would probably even not have damaged my MP2k1 if I
where not there and removed the accu tray.

The disadvantage of (Apple's) polyswitch is that it closes the current path
again if the temp is below e.g. 45 deg C. Thus an average temperature of
anything between 30 to 45 deg is maintained until someone interrupts the
current or something else blows-up too.

Marco