Re: [NTLK] New to Newtons

From: Jon Glass (jonglass_at_usa.net)
Date: Sun Jan 08 2006 - 04:57:56 PST

On 1/7/06, darakh_at_cox.net <darakh_at_cox.net> wrote:

> I can't seem to get my newton connected to anything, I have a network
> card(dilnk650), but no way to get drivers for it on the newton. I have a
> PowerPC 1400,(IR not working,yet), an iMac G5, a Cube, and an iBook
> 600mhz.

Is that PowerPC 1400 the Powerbook 1400? If so, that's the machine to start
with. It talks the native languages of the Newton--serial and LocalTalk.
Plus, it is most likely running an older version of the Mac OS 8.6, I hope.
(9 seems to kill my 1400--even with a G3 processor in it).
On the Newton, you will need to have the serial dongle that attaches to that
flat port in the top of your Newton, or you will need to buy a serial port
that plugs inside the Newton, called a SER-001.

Once you have a serial connection to your PowerBook, you can install Newton
Connection Utilities (or NCU for short) on the Powerbook. Once you have
that, you can install all the drivers you need for Ethernet on the 2100, and
get that one running quite well with your newer Macs. The MP100,
unfortunately, is stuck in PB 1400 land, and, IMO, is not much good for
anything, other than as a piece of history. ;-)

But in any case, I recommend starting with that PB 1400, and working from
there.

--
-Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland