Re: [NTLK] Anyone using LPR Driver?

From: Roland Roberts (roland_at_astrofoto.org)
Date: Thu Jan 12 2006 - 08:22:44 PST

    vr> Roland Roberts wrote:
>> Hmmm, it looks like it works fine after I changed the setting to
>> "spool before sending." Well, mostly fine. My outline notes all
>> have funny "overscores" above the bullets, but I can live with
>> that....

    vr> Brother's PostScript interpreter isn't that great. I believe
    vr> they haven't officially licensed the spec from Adobe or
    vr> something, because in all the documentation I've ever seen they
    vr> call it "BR-Script2". That's probably the reason for the weird
    vr> output. Have a Brother HL-1270N here at the office but never
    vr> bothered even trying to print to it from the Newt, because right
    vr> next to it is an HP Color LJ4500 which has always worked great.

I haven't had any past problems with it---I agree it appears that they
have not licensed the spec from Adbobe since they advertize it as
"postscript compatible." But we've have the printer for a couple of
years and it is configured as a postscript printer for both Macs and my
Linux hosts.

I've had problems with our HP 9000 here at the office when some PDF
documents would seem to get sent directly without going from some
host-side preprocessing, and the first attempt at output from the Newton
looked kind of like that---characters that looked like they came from
the dingbats font, at most a couple of lines before a page feed. It's a
great way of generating scrap paper :-/

In any event, it's working with the spool first parameter and the output
from Works looks great...

regards,

roland

--
                       PGP Key ID: 66 BC 3B CD
roland_at_rlenter.com                            6818 Madeline Court