Re: [NTLK] WWNC updates?

From: Grant Hutchinson (grant_at_splorp.com)
Date: Sun Jan 15 2006 - 14:53:56 PST

On 15-Jan-06, at 5:46 AM, Karel Jansens wrote:

> Does Einstein run on the sl-6000 as well (the one with WiFi on board)?
> What does Einstein do with the hardware buttons? Colour, please? Can I
> use regular memory cards? Can I read those cards on a "normal" Newton,
> with Paul's ATA-package? How's the battery life of a "Newtonized"
> Zaurus
> (it's not that great natively)? Can I switch between Einstein and
> ROM-Linux? Will it make my coffee? Ooh, so many questions, so excited,
> must relax, must not hyperventilate...

Whoa... baby steps.

There is a user manual included in the Einstein Platform 2006 (Beta)
download archive which has more details about the platform
requirements. Keep in mind that Einstein Platform does not currently
interact with the host hardware platform - in terms of networking, card
slots, etc.

Yet.

These are all good questions to be asking, but in reality it is still
much too early in the process to answer most of them.

Here is some information from the manual regarding the system
requirements and limitations...

To run Einstein Platform, you will need:

* an ARM-linux PDA with X11
* 2.3.3 libc with soft FPU and enough memory
* a NewtonOS 2.1 ROM
* a compact flash card with at least 40 MB free
* an MP2x00 US, MP2x00 D or eMate 300 ROM image

Known problems:

* Serial ports are not emulated.
* PCMCIA cards are not emulated.
* The sockets aren't entirely emulated yet.
* The sound volume is reported to be settable by software but the
changes are ignored (except when the sound is off on the Newton).
* Sound input isn't emulated.
* An error occurs when trying to install system patches.
* Keys are not translated properly (the keyboard is useless).
* Rotation doesn't work well.
* It is awfully slow.

It's certainly exciting, nonetheless.

g.