Re: [NTLK] MP 2100 & IBM microdrive

From: Marcus Hammerschmitt (Marcus.Hammerschmitt_at_t-online.de)
Date: Fri Jan 27 2006 - 02:23:05 PST

At 09:23 27.01.2006, you wrote:
>Marcus, very interesting, thank you.
>
>The price of the IBM microdrive is not too bad in certain quarters, I have certainly considered one for my Compact Flash compatible digital camera. (though infinite storage can result in an infinite number of average photos you would not have otherwise taken!)

Well, you have to get your post processing filters right, the most important of which might be named "Toss it!" ;-)

>Of course we have to commend Paul on his creation of ATA drivers. My problem, and I'm sure other's as well, was that some larger CF cards became intollerably slow and seemed to slow down the normal operation of my 2000.

I do it like this. I download the files on a linear card (20 MB) in my second 2100, and then let the machine shovel the content over to the microdrive (which can take a loooooong time with say 20 MB, and sometimes it doesn't work in one go). A cumbersome procedure, but it keeps my main 2100 unblocked, and the other one busy. When stuff is on the drive, things are in the clear. I just mount the partition I currently need, let it stay mounted, and there's no noticeable slowing down on my machine.

To be sure, I wouldn't entrust the drive with vital information (as addresses, larger text files etc.) for the time being. It's strictly mp3 for me.

>I would be interested to gain feedback from anyone on how the larger IBM drives, 1meg up to 6meg work with the 2000.

You mean 1 - 6 GB? I presume this might be overkill in more than one sense of the word. To have these filled with data a Newton would have to shovel til the cows come home.

>I've not got myself linked to the Mac via ethernet yet but assumed that may make the transfer of MadMax friendly MP3s bearably fast(er)?

With a Mac you should be golden. There's a plugin for older iTunes versions (Classic required)

http://www.pixell.net/newton/

which should nicely bypass the annoying 900 K-limitation NCU is burdened with. Not a Mac-user so I don't know for sure though.

Best,

Marcus

http://www.cityinfonetz.de/homepages/hammerschmitt/high.html
http://www.flickr.com/photos/concord/