[NTLK] How do you create Newton compatible images

From: <mkow1234_at_aol.com>
Date: Fri Jul 28 2006 - 12:46:12 EDT

I will attempt to respond to your posting, but please bear in mind I'm not at my home computer, so I have to go through the process by reying upon my diminished memory. This is from the perspective of a Windows pc user:

First off, I think the number of supported image types is relatively few in number. I believe that, dependng upon what Newton application you are running, you can get .jpg, .bmp, and .gif images onto the device. There are probably some weird Apple proprietary image types (with which I am not familiar) as well. Let's just focus on the file types I mentioned above.

There is a plug-in for Newton web and e-mail software (for NetHopper?) that allows for the importation of .jpeg images. I would tend to think this would be as laborious a solution as any, due to the fact that you would be dependent upon your Newton's modem speed and the phone lines for acquiring your images. There's probably a faster route for acquiring images via an ethernet connection, but I don't know much about that. Sorry...

There is also an application called PhotoShow, which allows Newton users to upload and view images in a slide show style. I can't remember, but I think it handles .jpg and .bmp images well. The images are imported over a serial connection with Newton Connection Utilities. I am pretty sure that you would have to purchase this app off of Kagi.com...

Next, we come to my preferred method -- NewtonPress. I typically publish eBooks composed entirely of text, but I occasionally encounter situations where an image or two is needed. NewtonPress allows the user to copy and paste an image directly on to a page of an open eBook source file (as viewed within the NewtonPress application). The best bet here is to use .bmp, although I believe .gif files work too. The images are imported (as (eBook content) over a serial connection with Newton Connection Utilities...

Some Rules of Thumb:

Bear in mind the limited cranial capacity and memory of Newton devices. Give your images as small of a memory footprint as you can. Don't try to swipe a 12X18 inch .jpg image into your Newton.

Use Adobe Photoshop, Paintshop Pro, or similar software to reduce the file size of your images. You will have to experiment a bit to find a good medium between quality of image and speed of file transfer.
You generally are looking to reduce images to about 3X4 inches (or smaller) in greyscale mode. SMALLER...Smaller....smaller...s

Matt-the-K.
Detroit, Michigan, USA