[NTLK] [OT] Re: Old Macs

From: Martin Joseph <NT_at_stillnewt.org>
Date: Sat Jul 29 2006 - 12:44:00 EDT

On Jul 28, 2006, at 12:55 PM, Norman Palardy wrote:

> On Jul 28, 2006, at 1:25 PM, Clark Huke wrote:
>
>> its no osx i want, i want os 9! and my iMac only has a 4 or 6 so i
>> can't
>> even install osx...,
>> and even now, I can't reinstall ubuntu, cause the new dapper drake
>> can't
>> find the HD either
>>

> Sounds like your HD is either dead or dying

I don't know... I have one of these also (imac G3/233) and the
Dapper drake release definitely doesn't like it. Boots right from
the same CD on a G3/400 slot loader.

Mine is exactly as finicky as yours Clark, so don't feel like you are
alone... Although I must admit mine does occasionally boot from
Tiger on the imacs original 4 G HD(cloned from another system), but
even that seems to be inexplicable.

If I ever figure out how to get mine booting reliably I will let you
know.

Marty

PS If I get a chance today I will test Norman's "bad HD" theory.