Re: [NTLK] Newton Museum DVD Torrent - What is a .DMG file?

From: Morgan Aldridge <makkintosshu_at_mac.com>
Date: Fri Jun 30 2006 - 08:32:48 EDT

One thing to note, as this is a single Mac OS Extended Volume, Kirk
is correct in that you'll need additional software to read it on a
PC. MacDrive 6 (http://www.mediafour.com/products/macdrive6/; <http://
www.mediafour.com/products/macdrive6/>) is a good product for doing
so under Windows. It's possible to read Mac OS Extended volumes under
Linux and BSD as well, but it's been a while so I don't have any
suggestions off the top of my head for that.

However, as Adriano wrote, this disk image is actually too big to fit
on even a Dual-Layer DVD and will need to be broken up anyway. We
have a couple options:

* Keep the two disc/disk images as they are ('.dmg' and '.iso' format
of the same Mac OS Extended file system); This is by far the easiest
for Adriano, he's already done a lot of work on this.

* He could just drop the contents of the disk image in a folder and
seed that; Not as easy, but not too hard either and would provide
everyone with a readable directory structure. However, resource forks
(which there probably are some of) would be lost to Windows and Linux/
BSD users and there's be no compression, so everyone would have to
download 9GB of data instead of 6GB.

* He could zip or tar & gzip that directory and seed that; One step
harder, but still not too difficult (a little time consuming though).
If he's using Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger) he can make sure that those
archives (either .zip or .tar.gz -- actually, .tar.bz2 would provide
the smallest archives, but would take about three hours to compress
9GB) retain the resource fork data, but it would still be lost to
Windows & Linux/BSD users when the uncompress it.

Just figured I'd toss that out there.

Sincerely,

Morgan Aldridge

--
morgant@makkintosshu.com
http://www.makkintosshu.com/
On Jun 30, 2006, at 3:43 AM, Kirk Zathey wrote:
> The discs themselves are in Mac OS Extended format. This means, even
> if you had access to the actual disc, you could not even read these
> without a Mac OS based computer, unless you used a 3rd party utility.
> The only way you could use these is if the extracted contents were
> posted but this would make it less convenient for Mac users that want
> to burn it to a DVD and keep it archived.
>
> Kirk Zathey
On Jun 27, 2006, at 4:44 PM, Adriano wrote:
[snip]
> Apart from that nor the .dmg neither the .iso archives will be ready
> to burn
> cause once expanded they occupies more than 9GB which won't fit a DVD
> DL (8.5GB).
>
> On MacOSX one will mount the disc on Finder and will then copy the
> files to be burnt separately.
[snip]