Re: [NTLK] Bootstrapped! D'oh!

From: Johannes Wolf <mp2100_at_mail-gw.estec.esa.int>
Date: Fri Mar 03 2006 - 11:03:44 EST

I can only warn you using any 3rd party power supply without knowing what it
REALLY provides. Normally the risk is low as long as the output VOLTAGE is
BELOW 7.5V.
700mA does not mean much without knowing what is the nominal output voltage.
Be also aware that the original 9W (WATTS, not Volts)power supply is
stabilised, has a current limitation and a foldback characteristics. 90% of
the standard wall plug power adapters do NOT have these features.
In other words: if your power supply does provide more than 7.5V at 700 mA
(which is probably the case), the current will raise above 700mA.
The Newt is designed to make use of these features of the power supply.
Using other power supplies the charging process is either sub-optimal (for
instance with the MP120 power supplies)or does not work.
By using a "black box" power supply not being sure what the output really
gives, you definitely run the risk to destroy your Newt.

Cheers,
Johannes