Re: [NTLK] [OT] Tigerdirect was Newt Printer

From: Martin Joseph <NT_at_stillnewt.org>
Date: Sat Mar 04 2006 - 13:42:27 EST

On Mar 4, 2006, at 8:50 AM, Peter Fraser wrote:

> well, one positive about them is their ineptitude towards configuring
> their website. many of us were able to buy a $495 LaCie 500GB
> external FW800 HD last year for $80 or so due to an error in their
> online listing...
Actually my negative experience with this is related to the above. I
ordered one of the above, never expecting to get one.

A couple of weeks later, I got an email from them saying that my drive
had shipped! I was excited, and watched the UPS tracking info as the
drive traversed the country (US).

Interestingly they had charged my credit card two days after my order,
even though they didn't ship for at least a week and a half after (this
violates US consumer protection law).

Then one morning the UPS web site told me "out for delivery". I was
kind of excited to get my new toy, but later in the day, nothing had
arrived. I looked at the tracking website again and it read "delivery
cancelled, rescinded by shipper".

OK, whatever, I called up UPS and asked about this and they didn't
have any idea what this meant, as they had never heard of it before.

I posted the above story to the list and Jon Glass made the point that
the whole story didn't seem kosher. That got me thinking, so I called
up tiger direct and asked them, what gives?

I made the point that they had offered the deal on line, and I had
accepted it, and that they had taken my money, which legally makes it
a done deal. Furthermore, they had given the item over to a third
party (UPS), at which point legally it belongs to me (ie if it arrives
damaged whose problem is it?).

Anyhow, they said forget it, we aren't selling it to you.

All that is well and good. The slimy part is that they said "we will
give you $25 credit for your troubles, which I accepted, and they
assured me the already billed charges would be credited IMMEDIATELY.

A month later, I called my credit card company and let them deal with
TigerDirect. It took another month and a half for TigerDirect to
actually give me the credit they owed me.

Then I called up to order something from them to use my $25 credit.
Guess what? They have never heard of me! No credit whatsoever. To add
insult to injury they now send me a catalog every month (even though
they have never heard of me).

My story, thanks for listening,
Marty