Re: [NTLK] Restoring from ext card

From: Woody Smith <woodysmith_at_comcast.net>
Date: Sun Mar 05 2006 - 10:22:56 EST

I can certainly understand your frustration as I have also received
the message that some of my information had not been restored because
there wasn't enough memory. How can it be possible that the restore
is larger than the machine that it was backed up from? It can't.

If you brain wipe your Newton the restore from a card will take you
back top the last time you backed up. If you don't brain wipe then
existing info and packages are replaced by the backed up info but
packages or stores that were installed or created after the last
backup are not deleted so you get the out of memory message. This
happens once the sum of the backed up data and new data exceeds
internal RAM.

I use my internal memory for critical information; Names data, Dates
data and Notes. In each of these applications I have selected to
always store internally in their prefs. Tapping the related Storage
icon will allow you to move all data for these applications to the
card or internal store of your choice. I also use internal store for
necessary drivers and extensions. I typically store applications on
a flash card, I also store works documents on a flash card.

Use the overview option in extras to see where packages are stored
and move if appropriate. Use overview in Works, Names and Notes for
the same purpose. In Dates the only way I have found was to tap its
store in the extras drawer.

I frequently back up but rarely restore. I also backup to my
computer from time to time. This is primarily to backup info on the
card.

If you must restore without a brain wipe then move packages from
internal memory to the card before you restore or use the tip offered
by Sonny and select information and packages to be restored.

While my personal rules for memory management may not work for you,
you do need some system. I apologize if I am only telling you what
you already know.

Woody