[NTLK] Dumb question about Newt's Cape books and status of some Newton hardware and software...

From: Bruce E. Durocher II <bedii_at_qwest.net>
Date: Sun Mar 05 2006 - 12:47:21 EST

        Last night I thought I'd try to do a good deed and transfer over
from Project Gutenberg one of R. Austin Freeman's Dr. Thorndyke
novels, "The Red Thumb Mark." (Dr. Thorndyke was written in reaction
to Holmes: he's just as smart, but as a barrister and doctor that
specializes in forensics he's a lot more stable. Pretty good
books.) Anyway, I downloaded the book into my 2100 so I could use
Newt's Cape to convert it to a Newton Book and started having
adventures.

        First of all, I ran into the dread error '61 which would stall the
whole process just sort of finishing the book. Ran the fixes,
reopened the HTML cache with Newt's Cape (and boy did *that* take
awhile), and tried to save to Newton Book format and then realized I
hadn't put in the converted by message that Steve Weyer requested for
any converted books so I tried to save it as a NewtWorks document so
I could add an appropriate line and found that my hand HTML encoding
skills were more rusty than I'd like to admit. So, I'll do a readme,
I think. But first, another '61 error. So I run the fixes, start
NewtScape up again, let it (slowly) reload the document, and convert
it to NewtonBook format--but wait, do I have to add anything to the
Gutenberg info at the top of the file? My brain hurts...

        Anyway, three questions. If it's O.K. to put this up as a straight
conversion, where should I post it? Second, did PCBMan ever do any
work on coming up with an expansion board/accelerator board for the
Newton 2X000 series beyond trying to see if it anyone was interested--
I bought my SER-001 from him and gave his e-mail address to J&K Sales
when I had them fit my 001 because they wanted to order some and
didn't know how to get hold of him, so I'd prefer to stick with him
if possible, and if I do many more of these I'm going to die of old
age. Third, and out of morbid curiosity, did anyone ever get the
source code for LunaSuite and make it available? Newt's Cape appears
to be great for the conversion and I'm happy I bought it, but my wife
keeps peering over my shoulder when I work on a problem like this,
and keeps making nasty comparisons to Lynx...