Re: [NTLK] OT os X server hardware and IR controller for Newton

From: Clayton Mitchell <claytonmitchell_at_mac.com>
Date: Sun Mar 05 2006 - 22:21:51 EST

William Pociengel wrote:
> This is a bit OT, but I'm looking to setup an os X server and am trying
> to find pointers to a decent but cheap hw requirement.
Xserve G5, Xserve (G4), Power Mac G5, Power Mac G4, Macintosh Server G4,
Power Macintosh G3 (Blue & White), Macintosh Server G3 (Blue & White),
iMac G5, iMac (G4), eMac (G4) or Mac mini (G4) computer
256MB of RAM, at least 512MB of RAM for high-demand servers running
multiple services
built-in FireWire
4GB of available disk space.

> My googles are
> not as clean as I expected. If anyone has any pointers then I'd
> appreciate it.
> ------------- NEWTON Content ----------
> Also are there any specific options in the server to support Appletalk
> protocols that may not be available in regular os X as I'm thinking that
> I can make use of shares and printers from a hardwired newton to be able
> to print.

No more no less on the apple talk, but you can make print queues with
the server.

> Is the source available for the IR controller that runs on the Newton
> and has anyone tried to use it with the current crop of recievers?

As far as I know all you need to do is figure out the correct pattern
(IR remotes operate on a blink pattern) for the remote software and
program it in for your hardware. Assuming your hardware is not already
supported. Not really simple.