Re: [NTLK] Newton Development Contest

From: PCBman <deepthought_at_ix.netcom.com>
Date: Mon Mar 06 2006 - 16:14:55 EST

-----Original Message-----
From: Andrei Chichak <newton@chichak.ca>

(To be fair, both implementations were straight out of an Apple app note.)

Andrei,

True.
However, I don't claim to have designed the circuit. Why re-invent the wheel?

I DO claim to have designed the layout though and the method of interfacing with the Newton. The SER-001 board was conceived and built by me, period. His board is a copy of my board - a fact he later admitted to.

Perhaps a little clarification is warranted.

I am a PCB designer. What I do is this: I take a schematic of a circuit which is simply the graphical representation of how all the components connect to each other and I translate this into the physical world. This involves placing actual parts at various locations on a board while observing several rules as to placement, orientation, connection, clearance etc, etc. It's like a 3D jigsaw puzzle.

I am perfectly able to create the schematic of the circuit from scratch but if a reference design already exists in the public domain I will use that. Again, why re-invent the wheel.

Regards,

PCBman