Re: [NTLK] OT: Was Newton Development Contest

From: Karel Jansens <kareljansens_at_tiscalinet.be>
Date: Tue Mar 07 2006 - 10:32:11 EST

Sonny Hung schreef:

> and this condition runs contrary to that.. I tried checking everything and
> no matter what I did the board caused the case to bulge - If I tightened the
> screws appropriately it caused the case to slightly deform and you could see
> that it was stressing the case... I had to tighten the screws moderately so
> that the case would not flex so much (it still flexed). What are you going
> to do for the buyer? Are you going to replace his case if it cracks? If he
> tightens the screw snug (not overly tight) it will undoubtedly crack the
> case - who knows when...is there a limit to you warranty regarding this? I
> mean IF you are selling to the Newton Community here and I'm asked to
> install another example I'd like to know what to tell the person regarding
> this issue...

I found out that, in my Newton at least, it were not so much the screws
that caused the bulging/cracking, but rather one of the washers in the
board (the one in the middle). Obviously, leaving that out means that
the center screw no longer holds the board down. I left it in anyway,
because it still gives some protection against lateral stress.

The case now only bulges very slightly and the deformation around the
connectors is completely gone.

This was with an original pcbman board.

Karel Jansens