Re: [NTLK] NCU $#@!

From: Marcus Hammerschmitt <Marcus.Hammerschmitt_at_t-online.de>
Date: Tue Mar 07 2006 - 11:52:19 EST

At 17:31 07.03.2006, you wrote:
>You use Ethernet to connect your Newton to NCU running on Win98SE?

Correct.

>This is
>Something I am most interested in. Can you tell me how you have them set up?

I use a generic PCMCIA LAN-adapter for the laptop ("Best Connectivity" says the
label, don't even know whether this is a claim or a brand name). For the Newt 2100
it's this card:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/concord/18493316/

I have Basilisk installed and Victor's handy disk image with NCU
already on it:

http://basilisk.cebix.net/

http://philly.unna.org/unna/development/NewtonDev/macos755-boot.zip

Of course you need to have an old Mac's ROM for Basilisk to work,
in my case it's Quadra 650's. Due to the memory restrictions of my
Compaq 1575 I have to be careful with memory allocation. 16 MB of
memory I have reserved for Basilisk. You grab yourself an ethernet
crossover cable, plug in, and huzzah, you should be golden.

At least I hope so.

Enjoy!

Best,

Marcus

P.S.: Be aware that Basilisk loads a little bit sluggishly under
circumstances like these. And you won't be able to do many
other things besides connecting to your Newt while Basilisk is on.