[NTLK] Installing packages on MP 2100 via IrDA

From: <SarahStryker_at_aol.com>
Date: Sun Mar 12 2006 - 14:23:55 EST

Hi everyone,
Helllllllp! I just got a MP 2100 off of eBay (very nice, although with
obvious signs of wear, yet 100% functional). I downloaded Jerome Vernet's irDA
Package Installer and put it on my Bondi Blue iMac, which as many of you know has
the built in irDA port. I then downloaded Geeksafe, put that on the iMac also
and started up the Package Installer. The iMac recognizes the Newton without
any problem but when I am prompted to select what to install, I navigate to
where the Geeksafe .pkg is but it doesn't show up in the list! It's as if it's not
even there! The MP 2100 ends up aborting with a message saying "no response",
etc., etc. The iMac is running OS 9.0. What do I do to get stuff installed on
the MP through IrDA? This is frustrating.

Also, when I tap on an icon, I get a message saying "Packages.. tapping this
icon does nothing". What does this mean? Does it mean the app isn't
installed, or what? What do I do?

One more thing... it seems like about 75% of the Newton sites out there are
dead. Does anyone know where I can find a really good database program? I have
a pretty extensive collection of vintage Macs and Mac accessories now, and I'd
like to be able to inventory it all on the MP 2100...

Many, many, many thanks in advance!

Sally