Re: [NTLK] A Moment of Silence for A Newton dead in the line of duty....

From: John <OceanCity_at_mac.com>
Date: Tue Mar 14 2006 - 09:16:01 EST

> The jaggies...
> I too have noticed that as the Newt ages, it develops this malady.

Assuming the jaggies are the result of debris (or debree ;-) lodged
between the perimeter case seal and the glass, there might be a few
things you can try to de-jag.

1) Using something about the thickness of the MTA subway swipe cards
(these are thinner than a normal credit card) you could cut off a piece
of the card to form almost a pointy arrow design. Then carefully slide
it in between the glass and the case to wedge out grit all around the
perimeter. This may or may not work. Note that using a jet of
compressed air might make things even worse by pushing the grit in even
further, or on the other hand before cracking open the case as a last
resort since you've got nothing to loose you could try the air jet.

2) Prepare the patient for surgery. Put your glasses on, have the proper
tools ready and gentle hands ready. Scrub up. Then go here for step by
step directions on exactly how to proceed to open up the patient:
<http://www.pda-soft.de/hardware.html> This is THE definitive bible on
how to. Click on "dissembling the Newton link" about half-way down the
page. I printed it out in COLOR as a step by step guide, and what a
lifesaver!!!!

3) The goal here would be in the end to separate the touch screen from
the case so you can really clean them. To get this far in dissembling
your Newt requires you to go all the way. As I recall when I installed
a new backlight this operation is fairly intricate so if you are not
used to doing this kind of thing don't. If you are, then take a deep
breath, hammer down a few shots of your favorite poison to calm the
nerves, and prepare for an fascinating journey and learning experience.
While you're at it consider any other upgrades you may want such as
installing a new backlight, a serial board, etc. You should allow a few
hours of totally undistracted time to focus on this delicate procedure.
Get yourself some containers to systematically in order save all the
screws and pieces in order for proper reassembly. If you follow the
above link step by step you will succeed. If you are not systematic
about your surgery the patient may never come-to in the recovery room
and you'll have to advise the next of kin :-((((.

I am really handy at this kind of thing, nonetheless found it somewhat
of a rewarding challenge, especially when I held my breath and flicked
the power on and all was well. PLEASE remember to heed all the prudent
cautionary advise from the disassembly instructions to the letter.
Particularly some of the finer points such as "Clean the top part of the
touch screen cable with alcohol and put it back on its two pegs. Do not
clean it with anything other than alcohol, don't use solvents, don't use
anything abrasive. Touching the contacts with your bare fingers is
something you would soon regret." ....and there's a little rubber
thingy which this flat cable must align with and touch. Take your time.
Don't rush. Have another shot of poison. Steady hands are key.

Hopefully if there is grit stuck between your touch screen and the case
and you are able to clean it all out, reassemble the Newt, resuscitate
it and it smiles back at you, you will receive a purple-heart as a medal
of honor for your good deed.

John :-)

Reference shots:
<http://www.1234zzzz.com/pub/tools.jpg> (have the right tools!)