Re: [NTLK] Newton Museum DVDs

From: Matthew Surles <minimicrite_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri Mar 24 2006 - 11:25:19 EST

Morgan:
I think I oversimplified. I guess what I was trying to say was that if
there were 100 people downloading the torrent, then the person
seeding/hosting is not responsible for all 100 downloads, and the bandwidth
(costs?) that it entails. The bandwidth necessary for all 100 downloads is
spread out among all participants. The seeder may be responsible for more
like 10 or 20 downloads.

I have seen some smaller software developers and musicians use torrents to
effectively reduce their bandwidth costs to that of hosting their web
pages. They distribute the itty-bitty (few kilobyte) *.torrent files, but
rely on fans to keep seeding the actual files (the music, software, etc.)
for them. Archive.net is doing this for some of their bigger audio and
video downloads (concerts, newsreels, and old movies that have lapsed into
the public domain).

I didn't want people to think that one person's bandwidth limit was a
limiting factor for torrent.

-matt