Re: [NTLK] Getting Back: Suggestions

From: Martin Joseph <NT_at_stillnewt.org>
Date: Sun Mar 26 2006 - 02:20:53 EST

On Mar 25, 2006, at 8:26 PM, Christopher Plummer wrote:

> Greetings Old Friends,
>
> I haven't worked with my Newton 2100 in over 4 years. I haven't posted
> here in about 5 years either. I'd like to get back into it, but I need
> some help. I have a list of things I need and want to make my Newton a
> useful tool. Can you help me find solutions?
>
> Required:
> 1) A way to hook it up to the iMac G5 via USB, Ethernet, Etc. for
> syncing and downloading necessary packages.
You can use a USB to serial dongle like the Keyspan, or if you have an
older mac to setup your Newton with, then you can use ethernet.
> 2) A way to sync notes, calendar, addresses with OS X (any text app,
> iCal, Address Book respectively)
There is currently no way to sync your address book with OSX that works
reliably and consistently. There is Nsync, which was abandoned and
open sourced, but still has issues in the address book department. I
think the concept of syncing with ical is not going to be realistic
either, but I could be wrong.
> 3) A way to surf the Web and send/receive email via ethernet or
> Wireless 802.11g, browser, email client etc.
You can do this, but it's probably not worth it unless your
expectations are modest and you don't expect to use except in a rare
instance (ie it's slow and limited. No SSL, No HTTPS, etc).

That said there is a slick "new" email program called Mail V that
supports IMAP and is quite nice.
> 4) Newtonworks
> 5) A backup option. I don't want to lose the software I already paid
> for.
Using classic and NCU or a native Newton backup method is your only
alternative.

> Wanted:
> 4) Nice accessories to make eliminate all the extra cables dongles,
> doohickeys, whachamagigs, etc.
There is an internal dongle eliminator that installs in your
MP2000/2100 called SER001, made by the incomparable David Humphries,
but I don't know if he has any for sale at the moment.
> 5) A decent case
>
> I did some searching but I didn't really find the complete solutions I
> need. I thought I'd ask here to get definitive answers. A final
> question: these things working with Intel Macs?

I suppose so. As far as that goes... They have the same limitations
that PPC macs have running on OSX, but no supported classic
environment to fall back on.

Welcome back, by the way.
Marty