Re: [NTLK] eBay something you might want to know.

From: Jon Glass <jonglass_at_usa.net>
Date: Thu Mar 30 2006 - 01:15:25 EST

On 3/30/06, Zoont Foomby <zoontf@gmail.com> wrote:
> So, if you buy a can of
> coke with a visa, the merchant has to absorb the CC fee which is probably
> more than the coke itself.

Typically, it's 4 percent, but AmEX, I think, charges 6 or 8 percent.

> Doesn't the bank charge to write up a cashier's cheque, even? Aside from
> sending someone a cheque or cash, we're going to have to pay to move the
> money.

It depends. I believe my own bank doesn't charge if I have a checking
account with them, but if I don't, its usually a percentage, and I
think that the Post Office charges fees dependent on the amt of money.

But what is being complained about is that somebody has to upgrade to
a premium account, whether they want to or not--to be forced to take
credit cards, whether they want to or not. So, if you wish to put
"PayPal" on your auction, you are now being forced to accept credit
card payments from customers, whether you want to accept credit card
payments, and worse, I don't think you can charge the PayPal fee _to_
the customer. This is the complaint, as I understand it, and would be
my complaint as well. My wife has done a couple auctions, however,
where, after the auction was over, and my wife was asking about
payment options, that she was given a Paypal email and actually paid
via Paypal. Of course, the seller could not advertise Paypal, which
does hurt in some cases. Of course, in my opinion, Paypal-only
auctions are just as bad. :-)

--
 -Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland