Re: [NTLK] Printers for eMates

From: Paul Curtis <MicroSSG_at_Comcast.net>
Date: Tue May 30 2006 - 21:18:56 EDT

I'm gonna take a stab at this and encourage Eckhart Koppen to add his 2
cents...

As far as new printers go, HP's current portable printer line up is this:

Consumer Name Price HP Model
HP DeskJet 460c $210 C8150A
HP DeskJet 460cb $250 C8151A
HP DeskJet 460wf $310 C8152A

The advantage of new is the availability to ink/toner and warranty. All of
these have the Ir port and are both Win98-XP & Mac OS X compatible. This may
make it easier to justify since you have e-Mate's, Mac's and now Windows
machines. I think you'll need to install Eckhart's Nitro, Neo and IC/VC for
the Ir port to work properly with the printers. Now I'm not sure if you need
anything further like a print driver or not. I've printed to some recent HP
4's and 4xxx printers with out a print driver, so I'm not sure.

To get older printers, might save you money to acquire and may have moderate
supply costs in the case of late compatible HP lasers, but repair and
longevity might not be as good. I say might not be, because even though
these printers might have significant print counts on them, HP Laser's (they
have Canon image systems) are built like tanks and can generally live 10
years or more.

HP has made a ton of models that support the IrDA port, some 4, 5, 1300,
2100, 4000 series all had some models with the port. I'm sure there are many
more series that also had them, but dollar for dollar your best bet is going
to be the 6 series. This is new enough for durability and old enough to find
cheap.

I did a search and found one for $29.99 + $22.95 shipping, they have a
number of them available. This is just an example, I'm sure if you dig you
can find a better deal, but they are out there and they are cheap. By the
way this one even came with the toner cartridge, power and print cables with
less that 37,000 printed pages and a 30 day warranty.

Best Regards,

Paul Curtis
Home ProT Savings Director

(517) 775-6666 Cell (Voice Mail)