Re: [NTLK] Poor soldering of eMate memory modules

From: Frank Gruendel <newtontalk_at_pda-soft.de>
Date: Sun Oct 01 2006 - 19:11:24 EDT

> Frank, you use 450°C for soldering?

For soldering the NewerTech upgrades, yes. This allows to solder very
fast, applying as little heat as possible to the chip.

> What kind of solder are you using?

I don't know. The sticker has been gone for years...

> I usually set it to about 375°C for my 60% Tin / 40%
> Lead 0.71mm and 1mm solder. Works a charm, and keeps my
> tips healthy.

As I said, this is a somewhat philosophical question. Normally I try
to use temperatures that allow me to solder very fast. Sounds paradox,
but that way there's less heat applied to what you solder than when
you try to solder with a temperature barely above the tin's melting
point.

Of course, it also depends on WHAT is soldered. Pinched eMate cables,
for example, cannot be soldered at that temperature because they would
melt immediately. For these cases I'm using about 350°C.

Frank