Re: [NTLK] Introductions and MessagePad 120 questions

From: Jon Glass <jonglass_at_usa.net>
Date: Mon Oct 02 2006 - 02:43:30 EDT

On 10/2/06, Matt Emson <memsom@interalpha.co.uk> wrote:
> The only other annoying thing is, how do you write a period? I can tap the
> little pick box up, but when I write a dot it is ignored or becomes some
> fairly random letter (depending on how I move the stylus seemingly.)

Periods by themselves are basically impossible. You need to make sure
you write it right next to your text when you write the text.

However, if you need to add punctuation back in later when editing,
then you need to learn how to create shortcuts. Shortcuts are your
friend. Learn to use them! (If you remember them from Palm, they are
quite useful properly used)

Hm. I was going to explain how to do it, but it appears my daughter
took my Newton so I shall have to try this from memory. :-)

In the Notepad, tap the little keyboard icon, to bring up the
on-screen keyboard. I believe that it should have a little book icon.
Tap on that. From there, you can make expansions (shortcuts) that turn
short bits of text into longer bits. I use it for punctuation
extensively. I have an "expansion" stroke I use for all punctuation
just to be consistent. It's the "/" character. You draw it from bottom
to top, and you will get it right almost 100% of the time, but for a
period, I use /p. For a comma, it's /c. For a colon, it's /co.
Semicolon is /sc. A tab is /t. And a return is a /p (paragraph). I
think I have a /q for quotation marks, but don't think I have a single
quote or apostrophe, but you might find something like that useful.

Other shortcuts I have: jpg--my initials--expands to my full name. w/
becomes "with" and there are others, but I'm sure you can think of
lots of uses for expansion shortcuts. Now, as to exactly how to create
the expansions, I think you simply write your shortcut in that window
that appears when you tap the book icon, and then tap "expand" and
write the expansion. You may have to save somehow, but without my
Newton in hand, I don't remember how. But I'm sure you will figure it
out. :-)

Sorry I can't help with the rest, but hope you find the above useful
and handy...

--
 -Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland