Re: [NTLK] the FAQ?

From: Alex Perez <aperez_at_alexperez.com>
Date: Sat Oct 14 2006 - 18:26:14 EDT

Grant Hutchinson wrote:
> In a previous message, Alex Perez typed vigorously:
>
>>> I reckon a useful community project would be to transfer most of it
>>> across to the wiki...
>> Completely agreed, but we should transfer ALL of it, then get the
>> URLs with the old copies to redirect to the current version of it at
>> the Wiki. Part of the problem with getting accurate information about
>> the Newton is that, as time progresses, the cruft on the web related
>> to it has also increased.
>
> One thing that should *not* happen, is deletion of any information in the current version. If a new
> link can replace on dead link (for instance: point to an archived copy of a page in the Internet
> Archive) then we should do that, rather than completed deleted a section in the FAQ. Likewise, a new
> link to a related section of the Wiki should be added to the existing information, rather than
> replacing it.
>
> Does this make sense?

Yes, it makes perfect sense, conceptually. One thing that I've found,
however, is that coming across a page full of dead links is very
frustrating, as a newbie. Another factor to consider is
information-overload. Presenting information which is not directly
useful to someone who is reading an FAQ is counterproductive to the
goals of the FAQ. Some of the more advanced wikis provide an easy way to
cite things with links or footnotes, etc, which can be very useful for
moving old/outdated information out of the direct view of people who
ultimately don't care about reading antiquated cruft, in a way which
serves to preserve it without putting the burden of sifting through
useless information on the readers of the FAQ.

Does that make sense? My apologies if that rationale seems a little too
verbose.