[NTLK] TimeReporter

From: Dave Bellamy <dave_bellamy_at_mac.com>
Date: Fri Oct 20 2006 - 19:04:40 EDT

Hi All

I have just started to play around with TimeReporter as a means to
track work and bill clients. I chose TR after first reading through
the List to see what other people were recommending. TR seemed to get
the most praise and did all the things I wanted it to. However, I
have just come across some weirdness. I have tried to send the data
from my Newt to my Pismo. I launched the TRDataTool and immediately
got an error message stating that the port was not valid. I tried the
other ports listed - modem, printer and printer-modem all with the
same message. I have a G3 PB with a KeySpan USB/ Serial adapter. It
works perfectly with NCU and X-Port so I am not really sure what the
deal is with TR. Worryingly, after trying to transfer the data from
my Newt - it would not switch off. The on/ off switch was not working
and even writing "end" in the Dashboard script panel had no effect.
Fortunately I could 'reboot' the Newt using DashBoard, but it is an
odd thing to happen.

Anyone else had similar problems and actually managed to get it work.

Alternatively, is there a better app that I've missed. I only really
need to be able to track clients, projects within a client and
activities within that project and then assign a cost and come out
with a final billing total. Something that will export the data to
Notepad and in some fashion to a spreadsheet app either on the Newt
or better still on my Mac. With TR you can transfer it to a Mac as a
tabs delimitated file or fax or print it, but not send it to Notepad.

Thanks for any assistance.

Cheers

Dave