Re: [NTLK] eMate and 2100 queries

From: RAParker <quadzillanet_at_newted.org>
Date: Sun Oct 22 2006 - 10:35:47 EDT

On Oct 22, 2006, at 5:08 AM, Jon Scordia wrote:

> CHARGING: I have a proper 2000 charger. I also have a proper 110
> charger but don't have a charger for the emate. Then I have Adriano's
> NewtUSB charger. Are they all compatible with both the 2(1)00 and the
> eMate?

For charging, I believe the adapter (from the 110) will work fine. I'm
use an adapter from my 120/130 Newtons (model H1300 7.0V 0.5A) with my
eMate and 2100 all the time. Although the Amp rating is lower than the
standard 2100 adapter, it simply results in slower charging, especially
if I'm charging the battery while using the Newton (and Backlight) at
the same time.

However, if the battery is charging AND I'm using the eMate/2100 AND
using a wireless card or modem (turned on), I do see the battery
percentage dropping very slowly. I believe that means the adapter
doesn't have enough juice to supply the eMate/2100 AND operate a
wireless card AND charge the battery too. Therefore (if I'm correct) it
draws the extra from the battery. Still no ill effect, but I try not to
do that.

I carry 9W (Model H0165 7.5V 1.2A) adapter in my belt pack when I'm on
the road. I use a couple of (strategically placed) H1300 adapters
around the house for charging at home, so I do have a pull out my other
adapter.

> MEMORY CARDS: I have a number on linear ATA cards and am keen to
> create swappable cards with applications and ebooks etc on them that
> I can use on either machine. I've lost the plot on the story
> regarding the compatibility differences with the eMate.

First, are they linear flash or ata. There is a difference.

Next, here's a neat trick: Your 2100 can act as an adapter for WRITING
to linear cards that come up as read only in your eMate. Keep the
important drivers (NIE, Blunt, i++, etc.) and Apps stored on the
internal store of your eMate. Put an 8-16MB linear card in your 2100
and load it up with the apps and ebooks you want to use on your eMate.
Then put the card in the slot and forget about it. Although it's read
only, you can still use the apps and the data stored on the card, you
just can change it. Just leave enough space on your internal store for
all your data that you want to change (address, notes, etc.)

Ron

--
     ____                                    RAParker @