Re: [NTLK] Re-building 2(1)00's contents

From: <knowtree_at_aloha.com>
Date: Wed Oct 25 2006 - 18:03:46 EDT

> WIRELESS on 2(1)00: I tried this before so think that when it comes
> to setting this up I have the right bits: Wavelan Silver Turbo card,
> drivers etc.
>
> I live in a block of apartments, surrounded by wireless networks (at
> least 4 visible tonight) so MUST have a protected network.
>
> That network is a simple apple Airport base station, 2 macs, 1PC, 2
> Airport express (airtunes) setup, 128bit WEP. Simple because I used
> OSX setup assistant and understand nothing of networking jargon!
>
> I assume Hiroshi's driver is still u/s and any attempts to contact
> him have proved unsuccessful.
>
> Therefore I assume that there's no way of simply adding the Newton to
> the network without removing security. The card is WEP compliant-
> possibly only 40bit?
>
> Then there's it's MAC address. Do I have to reconfigure the whole
> network to tie in every component by MAC address or can I just open
> it up to this one specific address somehow? (in setup assistant?)

I am pretty sure that WEP is all or nothing, so to use your Newton and
secure your WiFi LAN you must disable WEP and implement the MAC address ACL
method. You will need the MAC address of every device on your LAN. I did
this a couple years back (but without a Newton), a little pain but not very
bad. I also recommend shifting your base station's channel to something
other that 1; I went to channel 7 to avoid collisions with my neighbor.

Gary Dunn
Honolulu
MP110, MP2100