Re: [NTLK] Rent a coder?

From: Matt Emson <memsom_at_interalpha.co.uk>
Date: Thu Oct 26 2006 - 04:46:24 EDT

> Might be an option to upgrade NIE as suggested by some in the
> community or to develop the Windows/Mac sync software that is so needed.

Hey ho there,

I'm a programmer. I can't really help with the Newton side of the coding,
but on a complete tangent: if someone can locate me the specifications for
the serial protocol, I'll happily write a sync client for Windows. The only
Mac's I own are legacy, but I might be able to port it to OS X too (I have
Jaguar on my old G3.) One day in the future - after Leopard is released, I
want to buy a MacBook, so a port would happen then for sure. This will be
the latter and of next year though I think (as money is not forthcoming at
the moment.) Would there be any interest in me writing a Windows serial sync
client and charging, say $10 or $15, for it? Would anybody pay? My ideal
would be to support NOS2.x, to not have to install any additional packages
to the Newton and to make the sync happen at the fastest speed the Newton
can handle. USB serial devices would also be supported in the final release
(and I do have a Belkin USB serial adapter to test too.)

Matt