Re: [NTLK] spoke too soon

From: Matt Emson <memsom_at_interalpha.co.uk>
Date: Mon Oct 30 2006 - 05:08:30 EST

> Wait a sec. I could never get my head around this HFV-business. With
> MacOS 7.5.5 running under Basilisk I can access any file on the winbox
> in question I want.

HFV is a "virtual" Hard disk File Volume. It's a MacOS volume in a single
file. Basilisk uses it as if it was a physical hard drive volume.

The files you can access are on you "real" hard drive. Basilisk has that
ability built in.

HFV Explorer allows you to transfer the files directly to the HFV without
needing to run Basilisk. This is a time saver and used to be the only way
you could do it before they added the ability to mount your windows volumes
under the emulation.

> So I download compressed packages, expand under WinXP
> with Stuffit Expander (or with the inbuilt expander for Windows flavored
compression)
> correct headers with PackType under MacOS/Basilisk and install away.
Should
> work for you too, I think.

Why not just use stuffit expander under the emulator? Then you don't need to
mess about with file types unles the person who packed the file did it under
Windows. Look about for Stuffit Expander 4 or 5.5. I managed to find a copy
of Expander 3.0 or 4.0 that would run in system 7.0 on a 68000 processor a
while back, so they do exists out there. You can also find an Unzip utility
too for MacOS. I've used both under emulation and they work really well.

HTH