Re: [NTLK] Shout out to developers

From: Eckhart Köppen <eck1003_at_gmx.net>
Date: Sun Sep 03 2006 - 13:57:36 EDT

Hi,

I see mails with the above subject popping up quite frequently, so I
thought I join the discussion :)

If you want to set up a bounty for developing a sync solution, I
think it's most important to get the requirements right, and I'd also
recommend adding some sort of test spec - otherwise you might end up
with the situation that somebody wants to claim the bounty and
there's disagreement whether the thing actually works (oh well, this
is sooo close to what I'm dealing with in my day job ;).

Regarding the technical details, this is what I see could work:

- use SyncML over OBEX
- use Bluetooth and serial as the initial bearers
- for Mac syncing, iSync supports SyncML already, it just needs to be
hacked a bit. In other words, no iSync plugin is necessary
- for PC syncing, it should be possible to piggyback on Nokia PC
Suite. It supports SyncML as well, you just have to trick it into
believing the Newton is a Nokia phone
- at a later stage, it should also be possible to use SyncML over TCP/
IP (actually, this might as well also the starting point if you set
up a SyncML server yourself)

If you look at a recent Nokia S60 phone, SyncML is all they do -
nothing proprietary, just standard stuff. I wouldn't waste any time
with a solution which is not cross-platform :)

Eckhart