[NTLK] Promising solution: How to import vCard (Address Book) and ics (iCal) files to your Newton

From: Alex Santos <izabella.misiewiczsantos_at_neostrada.pl>
Date: Sun Sep 03 2006 - 16:07:05 EDT

If you head on over to http://40hz.org/wiki/index.php/IC/VC at the
40Hz site you can read all about IC/VC, a general import/export
utility for the Newton.

Unfortunately, the description of IC/VC at the link above appears to
be rather complicated and not easy to follow, at least for me. On the
other hand it also sounds very promising as a method by which on can
import and export not only ical calendars but also address book
contacts.

Additionally it's free. However, I am not sure how it works with the
built in apps. IC/VC appears to be very powerful and from what I
understand can even subscribe to an ical calendar published on the web.

Unfortunately their are a number of fields that are ignored, for
example "OS X Address Book lets you have multiple groups for a
contact. Newton only supports one folder per contact. IC/VC selects
the first one."

"If using a group named "Business" in OS X Address Book, IC/VC will
file under unfiled instead of Business."

"OS X Address Book will auto format the display of telephone numbers.
This does not correct the stored format of the phone number. To have
consistent style on the Newton, disable the auto format number
feature in the OS X address book."

Here are but three examples.

It appears as though this is a possible solution for some of us.

I highly recommend you visit the link I provided…this seems to be
very promising indeed. I hope you agree.--