Re: [NTLK] Shout out to developers

From: Sonya Hipper <sonyalynn_at_earthlink.net>
Date: Mon Sep 04 2006 - 15:28:22 EDT

Jon (et al),

I disagree...the ongoing existence of USB<->Serial adapters like the
Keyspan USA-28X (Mac Newt cable) or USA-19HS (PC Newt Cable) give us
a basic bootstrap, and from there the world of Bluetooth (via Blunt
and a compatible card) and IP (or, on the Mac, AppleTalk) via either
wired ethernet or wireless connection become available since we now
have a way to at least start getting packages onto our Newts with
NCU, Escale, or NewTen.

Any sync solution would do fine offering serial, BT, and IP-based
connectivity (with AppleTalk always a plus ;-) ) to get the Newton
and the Mac or PC talking to start the sync.

So that hurdle seems pretty surmounted to me, given that the hardware
and software to do these things are still pretty readily available to
any Newt user with a little education on what to look for.

I don't mean to sound blithe or dismissive here, but I think that the
"New NewtSync" project parameters have to assume that the Newt user
has conquered basic bootstrapping and has one of the aforementioned
methods up and running reliably.

-Sonya

PS: 'Course, another side project for the enterprising Newt developer
(or another "bounty" project) might be to replace Hiroshi's WiFi
drivers since he seems to have vanished off the face of the earth
without opening the drivers up to the community in the process. Not
that you can't use them without registering, of course, but the
capabilities are pretty severely limited and can force someone into
much less secure settings than they might like on their WiFi base
station if they intend to use their Newt over WiFi.

Jon Glass" <jonglass@usa.net> wrote:

> My perspective is that, in reality, the biggest bugaboo is the
> communications end--getting the Newton to communicate with OS X. In
> that respect, I don't know if Windows is as bad off as the Mac, but
> that is where the real problem seems to lie. As comms move forward,
> the Newton is getting further and further into the horizon--no USB,
> no nothing built-in. It seems to me that this is the hurdle that
> must be surmounted before we can get to syncing...

==
     "I urge you all today, especially today during these
times of chaos and war, to love yourself without reservations
and to love each other without restraint. Unless you're into
leather. And then, by all means, use restraints."
                                                 —Margaret Cho

Sonya Hipper
sonyalynn@earthlink.net
AIM: SonyaLynn