Re: [NTLK] eBook reader

From: Dan <dan_at_dbdigitalweb.com>
Date: Sat Sep 16 2006 - 10:27:45 EDT

On 9/16/2006 3:17 AM, Kate Case wrote:
> I'm wondering if there is a good ebook reader software available ie
> better than the built-in one? I am finding that pretty hopeless with
> it's small viewing window and no font size adjustment.
>
> Cheers
>
> Kate

As Matt said you are pretty much stuck with what the way the original
author created the Newton Book. Now you can convert a Newton Book into
text again if you can't get your hands on the source file by installing
a package called HTMLList and will convert a Newton Book into a
NewtWorks document. It is part of the Newts Cape web browser though you
only need HTMLList to do the conversion. Then you can send the created
document to your desktop and dump the text file into Press to create a
book with different fonts and the screen size you want. Or you can
create the Newton Book package right on your Newt using Newtscape (you
will have to install the Newtscape pkg as well).

What is the downside of this? Well you will probably loose the table of
contents. And you need lots of room on your Newt for the created Works
document (I would say make sure you have double what the original Newton
Book package is). Then more storage yet if you want to create the book
on your Newt. Also converting the book to text can take quite a while
even with a MP2x00 so I would suggest having your Newt plugged in and go
do something else while the conversion is ongoing.

I haven't done this myself but Woody has several times and I am sure he
will correct me if I am wrong in my instructions.

Another possible solution is after you convert the book to text and
uploaded it to your desktop, convert the text to a Paperback book. This
is a different kind of book and it reformats the book on the fly so you
can pick your own fonts and it always takes the full screen. The big
downside of this format as it does not save your place after a reset.
But you can search the book for a phrase to get back to your place.

I do disagree with Matt on a few points though. A MP120 is a excellent
ebook reader. Yes the screen is smaller but I find it easier on the
eyes (as long as you have good light) due to the graphics being black
and white rather than grayscale and more reflective than a 130. The
text is slightly sharper. Also I the 120 is lighter and you can wrap
your hand around it. And actually I prefer Classic format even when I
read on my MP2x00.

I also think that using the Library package, while handy to flip pages
with is going to wear out your power switch. That switch gets enough
use and eventually is going to fail. Why decrease your machines useful
life if you don't need to? But this of course is all a matter of
opinion and if you like the package and makes it so much nicer to read a
book then by all means use it. Use what works best for you, I just have
a different preferences. ;)

Also if you want a side by side comparison of Newton Book vs Paperback
books I did one a few days back so check the list archive.

-Dan