Re: [NTLK] Printer Drivers

From: Andrew Smallshaw <andrews_at_sdf.lonestar.org>
Date: Sat Sep 16 2006 - 14:33:30 EDT

On Wed, Sep 13, 2006 at 01:03:08AM -0700, Martin Joseph wrote:

> Eckhart and Paul made an LPR driver for Newton, which allows you to
> hook the printer to your OSX mac or you linux box or presumably
> windows with an LPR spool and then print to that...
>
> This allows for printing to LOTS of printers...

This is only half a solution, since the Unix LPD protocol acts merely
as a conduit between a computer and printer. It doesn't do anything
at all to present a consistent printer interface. IOW your Newton
will still need to understand the page description language of whatever
printer you're using.

Personally, I use a DeskJet 340 with IRDA adapter. They don't go for
very much at all on eBay - I picked up mine, complete with both
black and colour cartridges (the colour isn't much use for the Newt),
IRDA adapter and battery pack for around GBP20.00 This gives you
truly portable and wire-free printing.

Another ultra-lightweight solution is simply to carry a fax modem and
phone cable, and fax anything you need printing. How useful this is
depends on how likely it is they'll be a fax machine wherever you are.

--
Andrew Smallshaw
andrews@sdf.lonestar.org