Re: [NTLK] ebooks

From: Don V. Zahniser <irntooth_at_eznet.net>
Date: Tue Sep 19 2006 - 11:32:04 EDT

On or about 9/19/06, kate.case@gmail.com wrote:

>Hmmm.... I thought it might be a good idea to install the Paperback
>program (from UNNA) on my computer rather than rely on the Paperback
>website. I couldn't get PaperbackMac to unstuff (error 17540), not
>sure what that represents but perhaps the file is corrupted?

I got the same error trying to unstuff in Panther with Stuffit Expander
10. I also tried to use Stuffit Expander 5.5 on my PB1400, which
basically did nothing with the file (no results, no errors). Paperback
1.02 unstuffed in both locations just fine.

>Also I tried to use Paperback 1.02 (in Classic). I could get the
>program to convert the included readme.txt file to a package but it
>wouldn't have a bar of any other text file I tried. Dragging their
>icons over the Paperback icon wouldn't trigger its opening although
>it did it instantly for the readme text file. All the files were
>plain text files, from 250 KB to 490 KB. Any clues?

I did a _little_ experimentation, and found that Paperback 'recognizes'
only plain text files. If you have a file that you would like to make
into a book, open it with a text editor and make sure it is saved as
plain text (without formatting).

HTH...

 - Don

--