Re: [NTLK] Newton 2100 + kbd, or eMate?

From: Sonny Hung <sonnyhung_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed Sep 20 2006 - 09:08:59 EDT

On 9/19/06, Mr Jonathan Dueck <jonathandueck@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I'm currently using an eMate to take HWR notes on
> meetings (I teach ethnomusicology at a university, so
> I've got lots of student meetings, etc.), for which it
> seems slow, and for book reading and word processing /
> writing, for which it's the best tool I can imagine.
>
> I'm interested in a Newton 2100 setup, which I think
> would improve the HWR speed considerably, but I'd
> still like to have a setup similar to what I've got
> now for writing with the keyboard: a use-it-anywhere
> (with or without a desk) instant-on word processor
> with a keyboard.
>
> I've seen several cases for the 2100 (handstand) that
> claim to do this, and I think a home-made case could
> probably be made too.
>
> What do people think? Is a 2100+case+keyboard usable
> without a desk? Is the speed dramatically better than
> an eMate?

Just a few thoughts regarding the use of an MP2100 vs eMate 300.

eMate 300 - There are a few things you can do to make the slower eMate
run better and faster. 1) Purchase the internal Memory Upgrade, this
will provide a faster data path so it will be a little faster 2) you
can get it Turbo'd which will be approx. 33% faster than stock... I've
done this and it's not for the faint of heart and it definitely is
faster, but as noted on the Internet dangerous to the health of your
eMate to try... 3) an eMate compatible PC Flash Card.... good place to
off load software and Freeze it so it saves Heap space.

MP2100 (MP2000u) - I have had the HandStand and the Newton Cordura
Case which both holds the Newton and Keyboard is a usable position...
The comfortable use of either is possible on your lap or on a flat
surface.. however it's a personal taste regarding it's use and
placement... The HandStand is a bit more bulky than the Newton Cordura
Case but holds the Newton is better (landscape and portrait) position)
- you just gotta try them out to really know which you prefer... you
have to really know what you want use, portability, flexibility or
what not...

HTH

--
God bless,