Re: [NTLK] ANN: Internal USB "Port"

From: Andrei Chichak <newton_at_chichak.ca>
Date: Wed Sep 27 2006 - 12:59:14 EDT

At 03:59 AM 9/27/2006, you wrote:
>I'm going to be nit-picky for a moment, here, and go on record stating
>that I think it's much more accurate to call this product a USB-serial
>bridge, since that's what it is: a bridge. It does not enable any sort
>of true USB connectivity between one's Newton and any other USB devices,
>unless I severely misunderstand your explanation.

In the case of my Newton to USB converter board (currently being
called the "black board") you are correct. It is just acting as a
bridge, a USB slave to serial converter. I doubt that there will be
any USB master boards produced as the master (host or PC) end
protocol is very difficult to implement. On a PC (the IBM kind (yes I
know that IBM doesn't make PCs anymore)) the USB master controller is
implemented in the PCI bridge, a very complex piece of kit.

With my board, I also have some sample boards made and connectors
purchased, and am working out some kinks with voltage level translations.

Good work Adam,

Andrei