[NTLK] Poor soldering of eMate memory modules (was: Re: eMate memory upgrade)

From: Alex Perez <aperez_at_alexperez.com>
Date: Wed Sep 27 2006 - 21:43:11 EDT

Frank Gruendel wrote:
>> Any eMate users have the memory upgrade module by Newer Tech? There is
>> an eBay seller with an eMate memory module listed (item #190034538570)
>> with a photo of the item. He says he is not sure if it is a 2 or 4 MB
>> memory. My eMate has "Apple" written on the memory chip (2 MB). Any
>> problems with the Newer Tech modules? I seem to recall something about
>> loose soldering.
>
> Your memory is correct. These beasts are so poorly soldered that I never
> use any of them before re-soldering the memory chips. This is not for
> the
> faint at heart, and you need decent equipment as well as above-average
> soldering skills to do this. A microscope would come in handy, too.
>
> If I were you, I would not take a chance. If these beasts die, they
> usually
> die in a way that makes the eMate think they aren't installed when you
> turn it on. If the eMate misses a memory upgrade that has been there
> before,
> or if it senses one where none has been before, it does a brainwipe and
> deletes all your data.
>
> They work reliably when the memory chips are re-soldered. Of those that
> fixed I've never heard one single complaint.

Thanks for this information, Frank. I just checked my Newer Technologies
DT320 Rev D card out, and sure enough, I can tell the soldering job is
total crap without even needing my glasses. Do you recommend any
particular temperature when reflowing the solder? I'm assuming you add
some of your own, since it doesn't look like there's very much on there.
I have a variable-temp Weller soldering station which ranges from
350F-850F. (177C-454C)

Any and all input is appreciated,
Alex